Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"First Break all the Rules" and 5As

Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work

Below is a summary of a book “First Break all the rules”. This book is based on learning of research from 80,000 managers across different industries. The gist being:  that companies that got positive responses from their employees on the below 12 question were more profitable, more productive, had low employee turn over and had highly satisfied internal / external customers. 
  1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
  2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
  3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
  4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
  5. Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
  6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
  7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
  8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
  9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
  10. Do I have a best friend at work?
  11. In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
  12. This last year, have I had the opportunity at work to learn and grow?
Linking the above questions with 5As of Motivation discussed two days ago http://hunt-for-motivation.blogspot.com/2011/01/motivation-drive-towards-doing.html

1) Appreciation (recognition, acknowledgement, respect etc)
§         In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
2) Authority (Power, influence, control etc )
§         Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
§         At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
§         At work, do my opinions seem to count?
3) Avoiding Pain “internal to self” ( Internal sense of duty, Philanthropy, accountability, freedom of choice etc)
§         Do I know what is expected of me at work?
4) Affluence (Wealth, prosperity, income etc) 
§         Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
§         In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
§         This last year, have I had the opportunity at work to learn and grow?
5) Association (Being part of a group etc) 
§         Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
§         Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
§         Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
§         Do I have a best friend at work?

Feel Free to add……   

No comments:

Post a Comment